Wednesday 11 March 2015

The tale of a (whale) tail - for Tilikum

picking up my tail from the pod at Brighton
first coats and primer
blues and purples for icy seas and night sky

and on the back, Tilikum's dream

The spirit of Tilikum in the Northern Lights


For Tilikum, where he should be in Icelandic seas
and the tail arrives at Brighton ready for Whale-fest

 I was invited to paint one of 56 steel tails to raise awareness of the 56 whales and dolphins in captivity, that should be swimming in the biggest and most beautiful aquarium of all, the open sea.
I picked Tilikum, it was a lucky dip. When I researched more I found out more of his sad story. He is currently stuck at SeaWorld in Florida in a very small tank. He should be swimming with his family in Icelandic waters. Whale fest is on this weekend, 14th and 15th March. This tail will be signed by one of many famous supporters of World Cetacean Alliance and auctioned to raise funds for this cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment